Jewelry Class Description
Etching Intensive Workshop
pre-requisite: Level 1 Intro class or basic jewelry sawing skills
Like most metalsmithing techniques, etching has a long history w/ jeweler’s and printmakers. The process enables you to create endless graphics designs via a chemical process, rather than a mechanical one by selectively removing metal using mordants (salt/acids). This process allows you to draw or transfer the image of your choice directly on the metal by using a resist to create a relief effect w/ out the use of hand tools.
It’s easy and is a great method to build up stock for later use!
Using copper,brass and/or silver, participants will learn:
- basic safety rules for handling etching mordants
- how to successfully apply a variety of resists to create patterns/images on metal
- which tools work best for ancient and modern techniques
- how to incorporate etched pieces in your designs
- You must be 18 years or older to attend classes (some exceptions)
- For quality learning and teaching, our maximum class size is 6-7 students per session and up to 8 for workshops
- You may call for availability up to the day before the class start date
- Check back regularly to see changes and additions to the schedule