Jewelry Class Description
Keum-Boo on Silver
Prerequisite: Level 1 Intro class
Keum-Boo is an ancient Korean technique using pure 24 karat gold foil (very thinly rolled out pure gold sheet) and permanently attaching it to fine silver and sterling silver objects without the use of solder. The process is simple and requires minimal effort and minimal tools, making it accessible even for beginners.
The use of this technique allows you to incorporate the richness of a high karat gold w/ out the high karat price.Using raw fine silver and sterling silver sheet, participants will learn:
- how to cut patterns and handle the delicate Keum-Boo foil properly
- which tools are required for optimum results
- proper procedure applying the foil on to silver
- how to utilize and execute designs using this method
All students are encouraged to find their own voice in the creative process with instructor guidance as we don’t work off cookie cutter models.
- You must be 18 years or older to attend classes (some exceptions)
- For quality learning and teaching, our maximum class size is 6-7 students per session and up to 8 for workshops
- You may call for availability up to the day before the class start date
- Check back regularly to see changes and additions to the schedule
- 6-week session Metalsmithing classes meet once a week for 3 hours
- Boulder School of Metals provides the tools and supplies which are covered in the materials fee, this includes copper and brass. Silver and stones are sold separately. Advanced and specialty classes are subject to additional materials fees.